Speech, language, and literacy assessment requires gathering information in order to determine a child’s communication profile, including strengths and needs.
At Evolve Speech and Language, assessment may consist of the following:
- Case history (assessment intake)
- Conversation/consultation with family
- Review of documentation from a previous S-LP or other professionals (e.g., pediatrician, occupational therapist, psychologist, teacher, etc.)
- Administration of standardized or non-standardized measures (e.g., formal tests, parent report, observation through play, etc.)
- Diagnostic therapy
- Identification of effective therapy strategies
- Discussion of results
- Recommendation for plan of intervention and goals
Assessment reports will be provided on an as-needed basis, by request, and for a fee.
TREATMENT & THERAPY
Therapy with Evolve Speech and language is functional, family-centred, evidence-based, and most importantly, fun! Therapy sessions range in length, frequency, and duration depending on a child and their family’s specific needs. Therapy is play-based and goals are targeted through a variety of activities.
An individualized treatment plan is set in collaboration with families and parent participation is strongly encouraged. Outcomes are favourable when parents actively participate in the therapy process and in consistent home practice between sessions.
Therapy Methods are evidence based as additional training has been completed in Prompts for Restructuring Oral Muscular Phonetic Targets (PROMPT), Sara Rosenfeld-Johnson’s Oral Placement Therapy, Lidcombe Program for Early Intervention of Stuttering, Hanen programs, etc. Michelle is also a registered authorizer with the Assistive Device Program (ADP) and has completed a variety of continuing education courses in Augmentative and Alternative Communication.